Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Day 21 Happiness for us sorrow for Brussels

Warning political rant. Skip the next paragraph if you don't want to read it.

So as I was on my way to court in Nereta today, somebody (ISIL claims responsibility) set off a couple of bombs in Brussels. It's tragic. It shouldn't happen. The West needs to take some responsibility for creating the environment for ISIL to grow.  (both through wrong action and inaction when we needed to act) The middle east needs to reject such tactics as wrong all the time. People going to work, school and on holiday do not deserve to die or be injured or terrified. Rant Off.

Now on to the adoption stuff.

Left for court at 8 am, Had everything. Every piece of paperwork, a bunch of the kids' schoolwork, passports, vaccination records, pictures, the flyer from Kung Fu Panda 3. Everything. This meeting was not just in the Chairman's office, this was in the Courtroom. Bruno and I walked in, four women sat and a large table at the far end of a large room. A second long table formed a T with theirs. A court reporter sat along this second table. The Chairman, vice chair and the two other women that I had met before (the one from the original meeting and the one from the visit to our apartment on the 9th) were all there. Only the court reporter was unfamiliar. I wasn't sure if she was on the court or not. When we passed around the materials, she was handed them readily to review, so I suspect she was on the court. Perhaps not as she directed no questions to us. All of the other members did.

Bruno and I moved chairs up to the table as we were directed but he and I both instinctively stood to address these authority figures. We were waived down immediately. The chairman directed us to sit. She even smiled and laughed. I could tell without understanding the language that she said "we aren't that formal, sit down." Or words to that effect.

Then the questioning began. "Did we still want to adopt these children?"
"Yes, very much so."
"Are things going well?"
"Yes, we think so."

They asked to see what I had brought. I showed them the schoolwork. I recently taught Nauris and Dite addition and subtraction of decimals. The kids have been painting and drawing more. I showed them the charts with the verb IS on it. I showed them the pictures of our play time, outings to the park, and our trip to McDonald's. (They had never been and I swore in high school that I would go to McDonald's in any foreign country I could, even now when I consider their food barely edible. It's no better really, but it's not bad either) They heartily approved.

We talked about the visit to the doctor. No great concerns. Some things to think about with Dite, things to watch for. We need some vaccinations in the US, but nothing urgent or that would prevent travel.

We talked about their behavior, concerns with Dite's happiness, and Aleks' obedience. Dite we will give some extra TLC and Aleks is mostly just age based and environmentally based challenges. Nothing that raised any real concerns on their part or ours.

They asked to see the pictures of the new house again. I again had to explain some of the pictures were from before we moved in so there was no furniture in the photos of our bedroom. The house was fully ready. They liked the happy picture of Duke. Too bad, the kids won't ever meet him. Then again, maybe it's not too bad.

After a little more than half and hour's discussion they said they were ready to render their decision. They all retired to a side room. Bruno and I expected to leave while they deliberated, we were told to sit. In between five and ten minutes they returned. They did not give an indication of the decision. The chairman spoke at length. It was clear she was reading a list of details, I heard the names of the children and dates. Their birthdates, what I knew to be the date they were taken from their mother, the date they were placed with us, today's date. The chairman stopped. Bruno turned to me. "OK"(he starts nearly every sentence with OK) "OK, decision is positive and they have decided the children stay with you in United States, maybe seven months." Now that doesn't sound very permanent, but I knew that was just the initial approval to allow us to travel and the time to get the adoption finalized. That was it. We had been awarded formal, legal custody and permission to travel with them to the US. The words we wanted to hear since we first arrived in Latvia. The big hurdle is over.

The rest was just a discussion of how things would work and an acknowledgement that I would be traveling back for court (hopefully in just a couple of months and not six or seven) and that I would be seeing them again. There would be an interim placement report we would provide. We would wait for them to write up the formal decree and seal it.

Bruno and I walked to the one Cafe in Nereta (it is all of 1200 people, per Wikipedia) A cup of coffee and some salad (not lettuce salad but what they called a Russian salad, peas, ham, other vegetables bound together with mayo) and a little talk and the paperwork was ready. We walked back to the municipal building. Had to wait while they prepared a second copy, shook hands and left.

We did get one interesting tidbit. Nauris and Dite each have a small amount of money to their names. Some sort of pension from his deceased father (in Nauris' case) some compensation for what happened to her, (in the case of Dite) They asked what we would do with it. They would not tell us how much it was until the adoption was final. I said, "depends on how much it is, probably put it into a bank account for the university."(college means high school in much of the world and does here too) "Otherwise they would probably just get a nice bicycle or something." Their foster parents in Bauska had not touched it and stated it was for their use when they grew older. I said to them we took the same view, though Bruno had said we could do what we wanted with it. He said I gave a good answer.  Frankly, we didn't expect any sort of assets. Bruno said he didn't know how much, but it might only be 100 Euros or something. Whatever. If they have 100E we will let them save or spend it. If they have much more, we will save it. If they are secretly millionaires, I'll be retiring as I pay myself for managing their money. (yes, yes I know you can't do that when the money is your guardians', give me a little credit) The court was very interested in my reaction. Which was a mix of "Really? Well that's nice, and "Whatchyou talkin' 'bout Willis?" It was interesting they wouldn't say anything until after their decision. As though the prospect of a few hundred or even a few thousand Euros would make some difference consider the costs of tens of thousands of dollars. To speak nothing of the massive time and emotional commitments.

All the questioning and keeping the info concerning their bank accounts secret (Bruno was genuinely surprised and knew nothing prior) speaks to the idea that this was not all merely perfunctory. I know often that foreign adoptions can be. The agency and ministries do their homework, but a few days or a week and you have a new child. Goodbye thanks for your money. Oh, would you make a donation? No attitude like that here. It was about what was best for these kids. Surely, we had the initial stamp of approval, we wouldn't have received permission to come otherwise. If the court didn't like my answers, if they didn't like what they saw. If the children had expressed concerns, this would have been much harder or have been derailed.

Long car ride home and we heard about Brussels. I already spoke on that earlier. Home to be mobbed by children and a good report from Wendy on the day. No issues beyond normal kid stuff. Fun at the park. Lots of art with numerous paintings and drawings by all.

After some attention, kids played and Wendy and I talked about everything at court. We planned the next week or so. We need to get some documents printed for the Visa meeting at the Embassy on Thursday and ship some things home. (The kid's bags are VERY heavy, and they don't need to carry all their warm weather clothes or 2 or 3 coats on the plane)

Aleks acted up a bit, he couldn't wait his turn to use the water colors (we have only two brushes) got into stuff, annoyed his siblings. I had promised rewards for a good day. I asked if Aleks wanted to go shopping with me. He initially expressed indifference until Nauris used a better word I didn't know. He jumped up and got his boots and coat. The other kids wanted to go, but I said this was just a little time for Tetis (daddy in Latvian) and Aleks. Dite was bummed, but I told Aleks needed time with me and usually we would all go.

Aleks was thrilled to have me to himself. The info we received from his foster mother on Sunday that he doesn't want to share his parents is turning out to be useful. I didn't have to ask to hold his hand, he readily sought out mine. He only stopped when he decided it was cold enough for mittens. We walked past a couple of small bakeries. I wanted to go to the big one that was further away.
Aleks helped me review their selection of cakes and pastries. I had thought I was coming for breakfast pastries, I changed my mind and got 7 big pieces of chocolate cappucino cake. (Jelly roll style, middle filled with cappucino cream and a little strawberry jelly) I also bought an assorted box of mini-desserts. (twentyish mini-Cakes, eclairs etc) The bill? 12E and change. Yes, each amazing cake piece (large but not cheesecake factory stupidly large) was a whopping .85E (so a dollar) Yeah, so cheap.

We walked back. I was surprised how quickly it turned cold. The sun was low in the sky and the temperature dropped as we walked the 15 minutes home.

Mobbed again on return. Aleks let the surprise out that we had cake. (the kids surmised I went for dessert however) I received the OK from the wife to show them before dinner. I showed the mini-cakes off first. Oohs and ahh. The cappucino jelly roll cake? Literally gasps, and bug eyes from every one of my children. Then jumping around and cheering, even from my normally reserved eldest daughter and eldest son. (We have eldest daughters and sons now! Tee hee!)

Dinner was tasty, as usual. (Thanks Wendy) Asian inspired chicken and vegetables with rice. Wendy and I each had a beer. Kids asked for tastes of mine. Nauris pretends to like it. (I know he doesn't, he just has to keep up with Jaenelle, who does in fact like beer) Dite choked down her pinky finger depth (in a tiny juice glass to boot) of my dark beer. There is a game of "taste dad's beer" now when I am willing to let them. I think it's important not to treat alcohol like a magic potion. My parent's didn't. Wendy's didn't either. She told me she liked to taste her dad's beer when she was little. (I tried too, but I did not like it) Perhaps they won't have problems, and perhaps that's why neither Wendy nor I had serious booze issues in college. (New Orleans is it's own issue, I certainly partied to much there, but I was never a heavy boozer, not like guys I knew)

Drama this evening. Kids played hide and seek and broke one of the curtain rods in hiding behind the curtains by pulling on them. Cracked a bracket that holds it up. I'll have to find a replacement or lose part of our deposit. Wendy was furious. Not so much at the broken bracket, but that she had told them to say out of the window sills (they are low enough and big enough to sit in) and they had not minded. It wasn't one kid, it was all of them. With a long and stressful day as a parent, Wendy was thin on patience. (Making her mad is a bad thing kids) They
got the sharp side of her tongue, twice. In English and Latvian. (the best she could) My you should have seen their faces. Very sheepish. I decided it was time for all the kids to go to bed. An hour early or not. It would take them 20 minutes or more to all be ready anyway with one bathroom and five of them. When the little boys gave off sounds of playing and not getting on their PJ's she chewed on them again. A second time and I thought she was going to explode. It was time for me to step in. I am disciplinarian so often, I usually leave Wendy to do it when she takes on that role. She was at her wits end and need the assist. I calmly told her I would take care of it and it wasn't that big a deal. They were still only five years old after all.

I went in and explained mom was mad and they had better do what she said. Explaining that mom was actually angry got the boys to hop to. Crisis over. I'll look to see what I can do to fix it tomorrow. (I'll need a piece or new wall bracket, these aren't like normal ones I've seen in the US)

We've been to the park several times. Once after a light snow. Had a nice little snowball fight and the kids climbed trees. A promotion for Kung Fu Panda 3 showed up. Po the Panda himself. (Somebody in a Po costume) Kids met Po and we took pictures. Wendy took them today and Jaenelle played mamasita to two little tots at the park. Their parents commented on how good she was with little ones. (One couple was from Britain) Wendy also got to practice her Spanish as they ran into a Spaniard who had married a Latvian woman and was at the park with their little one too. Wendy got to throw the ball around with the kids, especially Nauris. He seemed to appreciate. that mom could throw. She commented on that he did indeed throw a nice spiral with an American football.

We did go to McDonald's on Saturday. The Latvians had never been and the Americans almost never went. It was fun. The quarter pounder (called a Royal here, just like the movie Pulp Fiction said it would be) was slathered in ketchup. Fries were good (as always) They didn't seem to have extra ketchup. The Big Mac, was the same as it always was) Aleks and Jack got little toys, hooray! Now we never have to go again! (Had to have a receipt to use the toilet, there was a code on the reciept that opened the door. Had to punch it in, wierd)

Saw Kung Fu Panda in Latvian. I got the gist. It's a kids flick. It makes sense even if you don't understand the language. Multi-level theatre. Assigned seats. They check your ticket at the door to the specific theatre. If you left, you needed your ticket. I went to get popcorn and found the theatre locked. Attendant was away and no people could get in. (emergency exit wasn't locked of course) Attendant showed up in less than a minute. Concession stand was a big area with a bunch of self-service stands. You could even get about 6-8 different types of beer. Stuff was crazy expensive, more than in US theatres for some things. Then you checked out. Like a junk food grocery store.

Had the funny experience of struggling to find which building the theatre was in. GPS wasn't helping. Then Nauris pointed out, "Uhh dad, zat von?" The building we were standing next to and walked by once? The one with the three story  tall banner for Kung Fu Panda 3? THAT is the theatre? Who knew? (yup, I'm an idiot sometimes)

Wendy made minestrone soup from scratch on Sunday. We had grilled cheese sandwiches with it. Some really tasty Latvian cheese Nauris picked out. Thanks Wendy!

Two days until the embassy meeting. Then Jaenelle's birthday and Easter holiday  (which is a big deal here) I wrongly thought the kids were raised eastern orthodox. I was wrong, they were raised Lutheran. Most of Latvia is. German influence for the first 500 years of the nation's existence will do that. They aren't interested in church. We will ask periodically if they want to go. If they want to keep it up, fine if not, fine. They can decide later if they want to follow any faith. We don't think children should be indoctrinated or much more than exposed until they understand the beliefs they are espousing.

The kids' foster father, Janis was in Riga Monday. Their oldest had a doctor appointment. He gave us a treasure trove! Many pictures of the kids when they were younger. Not baby pictures, but from 3 or 4 years ago. Time in school, maybe even in the orphanage. Dite use to have short hair! All the kids also received little presents for Easter. Cardboard bi-plane kits for the boys a cute hat for Jaenelle (the size of a large dolls hat, but with clips on it, it's meant to be worn in the hair as an accessory) A jufmp rope for Dite and candy for all of them. Wendy got a fancy chocolate bar, I received a decorative spoon from Bauska, with their town name and crest on it. Very generous and meaningful from two wonderful people.

We should receive the visas on Tuesday the 29th. Home on the 31st! Tickets are puchased. VERY reasonable this time (they weren't bad before, but $100 less a ticket for one ways this time)

It seems strange that this trip will end. It seems strange that this little apartment and neighborhood with old buildings and cobblestone streets isn't our families home. It is all we have known as this family of seven. I guess it is our home. Our first home. Now we move to the home we will live our lives in. Honeymoon is coming to an end. We will get to walk these streets just a little while longer. Again in a few months too, though we will stay in a hotel, an apartment isn't needed for just a week. Then not again for years probably.

Ok, this is long and it is late. It's getting busier than it has been. Will really need to work on things every day so we can be ready and not ignore the kids to prep for travel the last couple of days.


No comments:

Post a Comment